Tuesday, December 02, 2008

*THE PASSING OF THE APOSTLE JOSEPH B. WIRTHLIN*

"Come what may, and love it."

Joseph B. Wirthlin, Oldest
Apostle, Dies, Age 91

"SALT LAKE CITY 2 December 2008 Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, the oldest living apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died last night, age 91.

Elder Wirthlin had gone to bed at his Salt Lake City home, and died peacefully at about 11:30 pm of causes incident to age. His oldest daughter, Jane Wirthlin Parker, was present. A member of the family had been staying and caring for Elder Wirthlin, whose wife, Elisa Young Rogers Wirthlin, died in 2006.

He had continued to work at his office right up until the Thanksgiving holiday."

The day before Elder Wirthlin passed away, I felt the desire to read his last LDS Conference talk. I remember how much it touched my heart, made me laugh, and helped me. I needed to feel that all my losses in this life would be compensated and his talk addressed it perfectly.

My nephew has a "spiritual thoughts" page on facebook and I shared this quote on it the day before he died. I feel humbled and grateful that I had been thinking of him and now to know I was able to listen to him speak for the last time.

*The Principle of Compensation*

"The third thing we can do is understand the principle of compensation. The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude."

~ Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin.

You can read this inspiring talk here,
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-9,00.html