Friday, January 16, 2009

*THERE ARE NO ORDINARY PEOPLE*

I find it interesting and dissapointing in this life at how easy it is to toss someone in a "category" or make a very quick judgement call at first glance. The whole idea of "Judging a book by it's cover" is sadly a daily occurrence for most of us. Not that we necessarily do it on purpose...it just seems to happen. I made a conscious decision when I was young...to look deeper...to look beyond the outter shell. It was a wise decision. How MANY dear friends I would have missed out on had I fallen victim to this. I guarantee, that if you look back on your life, you will find that many times you were often surprised that someone was not what you thought they were. Let me give you a quick example. When I was a freshman I had two so called "Butt Rockers" in one of my classes. They were obviously seen as scary, outcasts, pyschos...etc. But I soon found out, by making the effort to get to know them...that they were two VERY soft hearted kool guy's. It was all a facade. They had as much heart as anyone and I'm glad I got to see that. I'm also glad that I got to know Def Leppard from them! :) I now consider myself a bit of a "Butt Rocker" and I like it. :) I'm not saying that we be careless in getting to know people. It's important to listen to your heart/gut, be wise and choose friends carefully. The spirit of the Lord will guide us if we will listen and obey. And at the same time, give people the benefit of the doubt. A person who may appear ordinary, un-kool, or not the "Normal" type of person you usually hang out with...may end up being your best friend.

“It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you can talk to may one day be a creature which, if you say it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations – these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit – immortal horrors, or everlasting splendors."

C.S. Lewis

I think that pretty much say's it all.